Monday, April 7, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? - Pinocula

I'm excited to have found a linky I haven't seen before.  It's called, "It's Monday, What Are You Reading?"  Can't wait to read some of the other posts and discover some new books!



This school year, I decided to try to read EVERY book that I get for my classroom from Scholastic.  If I read the books first, then I can recommend them to particular students AND when I ask them what the book is about, I can make sure they are comprehending it.  This goal of mine has led me to read some books that I normally would have just passed along to students.  The one I'm reading now is one that never would have interested me at first glance.  It is called Pinocula by Obert Skye.  


This book came free in a 10-pack of books from Scholastic because my class had spent so much money.  This book would definitely not be on my top list of books to read at first glance.  However, I'm glad that my goal of reading every book before I take it to my classroom is exposing me to new types of books I wouldn't normally try.   This book is actually very funny and clever.  I figured out pretty quickly that it's actually the second book in a series.  I've learned so far that the main character has a closet with leftover lab supplies and books inside it.  When characters from the books get mixed together, creatures are formed!  In this book, Pinocula is formed from Pinocchio and Dracula.  

The author mixes drawings with text, and his drawings are full of humorous details that you might miss if you don't pay close attention.  I'm almost halfway through the book now, and I would say that I will be recommending it to some of my higher readers.  I have some Big Nate fans in my class, and I think this book will be right up their alley.  I teach 4th grade, and I think this book would actually be perfect for 5th and 6th graders.  But a few of my kids will definitely be interested in the funny title and concept of the book.

I'm going to get back to finishing this book now so I can hopefully take it in to my class tomorrow and recommend it to someone - I have the perfect student in mind for this one!  Then, I'm on to the next book in my huge pile of children's literature that I need to get through :)





No comments:

Post a Comment