Sunday, January 13, 2013

MLK Activities This Week

I'm looking forward to teaching my kids all about MLK and his message this week.  I will be using my MLK pack, found {HERE} for 3rd-5th graders.  The pack has activities that can either go along with the picture books I suggest, or they can be activities that supplement whatever materials you already have to teach about MLK.  Here is a look at some of the activities we will be doing this week:

Writing our own speeches either about equality, or about some other issue students want to see changed...this is a perfect accompaniment for the book March On! The Day My Brother Martin Changed the World.

Making a birthday cake for MLK...this can go along with Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King.

Contemplating what big idea we think of when we think of MLK...this can be an activity for Martin's Big Words.

We will also be doing a couple other activities from the pack - I plan on doing one every afternoon.  Again, you do not have to have the recommended picture books in order to do the activities.  There are also signs provided for ready-to-go bulletin board displays for January and February (Black History Month).  I am looking forward to the message of peace we will be discussing all week - hopefully my students will act more peaceful toward each other as well!  



No comments:

Post a Comment