Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thanksgiving Book Countdown!

During the month of October, my class and I had a "Halloween Book Countdown."  Every day, I read them a different Halloween book.  They were so excited about read aloud time!  I decided to continue the new "tradition" and am currently having a Thanksgiving Book Countdown.  I'm not used to reading them picture books every day; in the past, I read chapter books to them during read aloud time.  But I am finding that I really like it.  Every day is a new chance to ask them several questions, such as:

1. What do you think the genre of this book is, based on the cover?
2. What are your predictions for what this book will be about?
3. What do you think the author's purpose for writing this book was?
4. What is the theme of this book?

The kids are becoming experts at answering these questions!  It is so much fun that I even look forward to read aloud time every day!  I think I just may continue the holiday book countdown tradition all year.  Today, we read Arthur's Thanksgiving.


It was the perfect book to go along with our minilesson on r-controlled vowels.  There were two examples right there in the title!  

What Thanksgiving books are you all reading your classes?  I'd love to hear some suggestions!



No comments:

Post a Comment